Saturday, January 20, 2007

Save Some Money - Save The World

Maybe you've seen the TV show "Heroes" and heard the phrase save the cheerleader, save the world. Quite a fantasy. But you can save some money and help save the world at the same time.

I read this post from Seth Godin. It is about compact florescent light bulbs. In his post he stated "If we switched all our bulbs, we could stop importing oil altogether. Without giving up one Hummer." I really thought this was a way over hyped claim. So on a rainy day I searched Google to verify the claims. I found this "According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, if every U.S. household replaced just one regular incandescent light bulb with a compact florescent light bulb, it would prevent 90 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions from power plants, the equivalent of taking 7.5 million cars off the road." at about.com. They also provide a link to a calculator that will show how much money and the number of pounds of CO2 emissions you will save by replacing just one bulb.

Not yet satisfied I looked further and found this from the Department of Energy"If you replace 25 percent of your light bulbs with fluorescent, you can save about 50 percent on your lighting bill."

Go ahead do your own research. I just went out and bought some compact florescent bulbs. I used one in the office and I promise I will put one in my home. Please do us all a favor, save some money and save the world.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home